Creative Creations - Cardboard Tower

 

Photo of a cardboard tower sitting on a chest of drawers with two photos.

Have you ever made something that wasn’t really decor or serve a function like a basket? I have! More than once. I don’t really know why I make these things but I just get these ideas and have to try them out. I love to use my imagination and it not serve a real function like a piece of art that I’m going to hang on the wall or a basket. Just something to let my creativity run free. So, here’s one that I’ve made for no reason other than I wanted to.

The quote "Let's do what we love and do a lot of it. - Mark Jacobs" with Christmas lights in the background.

My Supplies

  • Cardboard
  • Pringles chip can
  • Round container
  • Scissors
  • Hot glue gun/glue
  • Acrylic paint
  • Paint brush

I’ve always wanted to make a castle out of Bristol Board, but I still haven’t gotten around to it. I have however made a tower out of cardboard. Kind of like a baby step to making a castle.

I started off with an empty Pringles can and an empty toilet paper roll (industrial size toilet paper). I cut out a window in the toilet paper roll. Then, I figured out where I wanted the toilet paper roll and hot glued short strips of cardboard to the toilet paper roll. To attach it to the Pringles can I angled the strips of cardboard down and hot glue it to the Pringles can. Wa-La! I now had a base for my cardboard bricks. I cut out small rectangle pieces from cardboard for my bricks and hot glued them to the Pringles can and the toilet paper roll.

For the roof I used a thin piece of card board to bend into a cone. Hot glued it to the top of my tower and cut out a little section over the window. For the shingles, I separated some pieces of cardboard, which gave me this great wavy cardboard that looks like shingles. I still had a small hole at the top so I covered it with some thick brown paper that I had that came in an old package. (because when you’re a crafty person you tend to hold on to things like that).

A tower made out of cardboard.
A tower made out of cardboard.

I now had a tower and it was time to paint! I went for the classic old tower look as I imagined Rapunzel’s hair draped out of the window, down the old brick walls with vines creeping up to the top.

Painting a tower made out of cardboard.

I’m proud with how it turned out. It was really fun making something with no real set plan. Just figuring it out as I go. It feels great to just let my imagination run free and to create without worry or stress about how it’ll turn out. The tower now sits on a chest of drawers in my guest room. I think it adds a fun quirky element to the room.

A cardboard tower.
A cardboard tower.
A cardboard tower.
A cardboard tower.
A cardboard tower.

Show me something that you’ve made in the comments below!