DIY Easter Bunny Door Hanger

 

I saw this super cute Easy DIY Pom Pom Easter Bunny Wreath on Pinterest and thought I’d give it a try. But mine, pictured on the left, didn’t turn out as cute as the girl on Pinterest’s did. So, I was rather disappointed. But I got to thinking about why I didn’t like mine. I wanted it smaller, I wanted the pom poms to be tighter, her pom poms were somehow bigger, I used grey instead of white because I have a ton of grey yarn.

Then I started forming a plan and I came up with my own Easter Bunny idea.

Supplies

  • Cardboard
  • Yarn
  • Felt
  • Wire or metal clothes hanger
  • Ribbon
  • Scissors
  • Pen/paper
  • Measuring tape
  • Glue

Instructions

  1. To start you’ll need to decide how big you want your bunny’s to be. Measure out your circles on the cardboard and cut them out.
  1. Take 3 short pieces of cardboard and glue them to the back of your cardboard circles to keep them all together in a nice triangle shape. (I just used some scrap pieces of cardboard for this)
  1. Now, you’ll need to make your pom poms. The easiest way to make pom poms is wrapping yarn around the palm of your hand. Once you’ve got around 60 wraps around your hand, carefully remove it from your hand and tie another piece of yarn around the middle.
  1. Cut the loops of the yarn on both sides of the bundle of yarn and trim off the excess yarn to create a nice ball.
  1. Layout your pom poms on the cardboard circles to make sure all the cardboard is covered.
  2. Glue your pom poms to the cardboard circles.
  1. Now time for bunny ears. Draw out your ears on your felt and cut them out. You could also use craft paper for this.
  1. Once you’ve got the place of your ears figured out glue the ears to the back of your cardboard circles.
  1. Now for the wire hanger. Work your wire to the height that you want it and cut it. I used 22gauge wire which is pretty thin for this so I used two pieces. I twisted the pieces together to give it more strength.
  2. Now, take your ribbon and wrapped it around the wire. Every few inches use a dot of hot glue to help keep it in place. You’ll also want to make sure you keep the ribbon tight. If it’s too loose it can move around on the wire.
  1. Glue your wire to the back our your cardboard pieces. You’ll want to put some glue down first then the wire ends, then glue on top of the wire. It also helps if you coil your wire end some to give it more area for the glue to adhere to.
  1. Once the glue has completely dried, hang it up and enjoy!

Wa-La you’ve got a super cute Easter Bunny Door Hanger!

Sometimes you can come up with some great ideas after some disappointing ones.