DIY Popsicle Stick Shelf

 

popcicle shelf

I saw this project on Pinterest and thought, “hmm that’s cute but I don’t think it’s for me. It looks like Popsicle sticks and that just isn’t the look I want.” Then one afternoon I was bored and needed to create. Do you ever get that feeling? So, I decided I’d give it a shot. It turned out so cute I made another one and have them hanging up by my desk at home. You never know how much you’re going to like something until you try it out. Don’t look down on a craft or project because you think it might look too cheap.

Supplies

  • Piece of paper
  • Pen or pencil
  • Popsicle sticks (around 100)
  • Hot glue gun/glue
  • Paint or wood stain

Procedure

  1. Use your paper to make a hexagon template so that your shelf isn’t wonky.
  1. Now, to start forming your shelf. Your sticks are going to be overlapping each other. Take three sticks and lay them down on your template so that there is an empty stick space in between them.
  1. Continue to glue stick ends following along with your hexagon template.
  1. Repeat this same procedure, until your shelf is as thick as you want it to be. Note that there will be a gap between your sticks.
  1. Once all the glue has dried remove all the little strings that using hot glue leaves behind. I hate this! Those glue stings make me crazy!
  1. And it’s time to paint or stain your shelf. Think about where you’re going to be putting your shelf and make sure that the color or stain you pick complements that area.

Now, you can attach a hanger to the back of your shelf or you can simply hang a corner of your hexagon over a nail on the wall.